May 16, 2010

The Cricket

A few weeks ago, I was in an empty classroom speaking with a teacher. She suddenly interrupted our conversation with, "Do you hear that?"

I looked around and all I heard was the air conditioner humming. 

"What is it?" I asked

"It's a cricket! It is so loud!" she exclaimed.

I wanted to hear it. I got up and walked all over the room listening for it. The teacher told me it was coming from the back corner of the room. I walked over to the area straining my neck, cocking my head to the right, cupping my good ear with my hand desperate to hear the cricket. I pushed the buttons on my hearing aid changing the settings to see if it helped. But, I still could not hear it. Apparently, it was very loud. Even random people walking in heard it.

I was jealous. 

You know how when you are told that you can't do something, you suddenly want to do it badly? This was how I felt. I wanted to hear that cricket! What does it sound like? I needed to know terribly!

They eventually found it hiding in a trash bag apparently still chirping away.


(e

3 comments:

  1. It usually sound like it name...cricket, cricket. at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can try googling cricket sounds.. and adjust the volume you want

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I still wanted to hear THAT cricket. It's stupid I know. Thanks, though, I am going to Google it and I will turn up the volume.
    You know what is weird, is that sometimes I can hear them at night, if there are a lot of them, but for some reason I could not hear that one cricket in a small classroom. It drove me crazy.

    (e

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil.