May 16, 2010

It Is Clarity, Not Volume, That Matters

To some strangers or people who don't know me (a person with moderate-severe deafness, depending on the situation) very well:
  • When you talk to me, you don't have to raise your voice. It is clarity, not volume that matters. 
  • Talk to me how you would to everyone else, except use clear speech. Don't look away or cover your mouth. Please don't mumble. 
  • Ask me before you decide to blast the TV or radio for the purpose of helping me hear what is being said. A lot of times, volume is not the answer. I prefer captions or subtitles.
    • Don't freak out when I stand close to you or look at your face with the look of intense fascination. I am only trying to read your lips or understand what you are saying.
    • Do not whisper in my left ear. Just don't whisper in my either of my ears period. Most likely, I will not understand you. 
    • If you have a foreign accent, it may take me a while to get used to the way you talk. Be patient with me, I am going to ask you to repeat yourself several times most likely.
    (e

    2 comments:

    1. This is a great list of suggestions because even though I know more than most I'm aware that I'll never understand what it's like to have hearing aids.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I believe you have a better understanding than most people. I commend you for learning more about it and trying to understand.

      ReplyDelete

    Keep it civil.