May 11, 2010

Neat Way To Teach Young Children Colors In Sign Language

I thought of what might be a fun and simple way of teaching or reinforcing the signs for various colors to very young children. I was inspired by the creator of Signing Time and by Dr. Jean.

The activity would involve wearing different colored gloves (red, green, yellow, blue, etc.).

First, I would select a color, let's say red.
I would put the red glove on my dominant hand and hide it behind my back.
With my gloved hand behind my back, I would sing and/or sign,
"Where is red? Where is red?" (to the tune of frere jacques).
Then I would bring out my red gloved hand and sign and/or say,
'Here I am! Here I am!"
Looking at your gloved hand, "What do you say red? What do you say red?" 
Then you sign and say, "Red, red, red. Red, red, red."

You keep doing this with the other colors you want to teach or go over. 

When you are finished, you can ask your child or student do the song wearing the gloves.

There are many other ways you can do it.
I would like to hear from you if you have any other ideas or how you would modify this. 

In one of her books, Dr. Jean has an activity which teaches the alphabet in signs by doing the same song and motions focusing on the letters of the alphabet. This is where I got the idea for the song. I thought the gloves would make it more visually pleasing and helpful in learning the signs for different colors. I got the idea of using colored gloves from watching the Signing Time creator put different colored tape on her fingers.

I am going to make my own gloves using felt. I will try it with my student tomorrow.

I hope he likes it.

(e

Share/Bookmark

Link to this post: http://ehwhathuh.blogspot.com/2010/05/neat-way-to-teach-young-children.html

1 comment:

Keep it civil.