June 19, 2010

Hearing Loss Association of America Convention in Milwaukee!

I am currently at the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Convention in Milwaukee! I am having a very good time and have been learning a lot. I am seeing hundreds of hearing aids, cochlear implants, and different kinds of listening devices. I hear a lot of, "Eh?" "What?" "Huh?" "Come again?" "What was that?" LOL. It is kind of overwhelming at times.


The best thing about it for me so far, is the support and camaraderie. I have met several people from my neck of the woods and I am excited about getting involved with them in starting more HLAA chapters and support groups for deaf and hard of hearing people. 

I highly recommend to others who are interested in finding more information about hearing loss to attend an HLAA convention. Not only do you have access to so many wonderful workshops and resources, you meet many different people from all over, who can be excellent resources and really good friends and support. I told someone it was as if mirrors were put in front of me as I spoke with others who shared similar stories of dealing with their hearing loss. There's a lot of, "Me too!" "Yes, I know!" "Isn't that annoying?!" 

It is nice to know that you are not alone and to have others truly understand you.

AND I met Speak Up Librarian! That was awesome. She is a very nice and wonderful person who looks sooo much younger than she really is. We had a great time. I am so happy I got to meet her!

I will write more about my experiences at the convention. I don't have much time now and I would really like to try to squeeze in a nap before the next workshop! To tell you the truth, I think I am getting a little burnt out on hearing aids and hearing loss issues!!

(e

7 comments:

  1. Do visit the National Association of the Deaf convention in Philadephia the first week of July. There you'll have a completely different experience: flying hands, total quietness, relatively little "eh? what?"s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some flying hands too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having a blast! It's always nice to be in the place where everyone accepts everyone despite of their difference. I heard so much good things about it.

    Maybe one of these days, I might go and yes, I still need to go to NAD, too.

    So many conventions I want to go to. *sighs* Anyway, look forward to see bunch of pictures.

    Enjoy your time there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You coming to the comedy club tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dennis,

    Yes, I am going. I'll see you there!

    (e

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth,
    It was great to meet you! I'll be writing my thoughts on HLAA soon. I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed from the whole conference experience.
    All the best,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, who is Dennis? Did you go to the comedy show? Sorry, I don't think we met, or if we did, sorry again. There were so many people. So many names to remember!

    (e

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil.